In general buyers should arrange the following inspections prior to purchasing an existing home:
- A building inspection: in order to check for structural problems.
- A pest inspection: in order to ensure the house is free of termites and pests.
There are a number of precautionary steps that you can take to ensure that you are getting value for money when choosing an inspector:
- Check with the Builders’ Registration Board to confirm their registration number;
- Contact the Master Builders Association for members who are Building Inspectors. You can use Master Builders’ free Find a Consultant service to find an inspector;
Obtain a list of previous clients and obtain their feedback; and
- Confirm an agreed price before agreeing to an inspection.
When choosing an inspector, don’t forget to check their experience and credentials before engaging with them. One of the reasons is that there is no registration requirement to become a building inspector in Western Australia.